The Climate Web facilitates access to “actionable” climate change knowledge for decision-makers of all kinds. We’re all looking for actionable knowledge that is specific to our personal and organizational context; in a subject area as large and complex as climate change that’s not easy to find.
Our goal with the Climate Web is to continue to expand the amount of directly accessible actionable knowledge. With the Climate Web’s Recent News, Deep Dives, Dashboards, and other examples of already-organized and linked information, many users won’t need anything more.
However, many users may not readily find the actionable knowledge they would like to have easily available. This may not be because it’s not in the Climate Web’s enormous knowledge base, but rather because it hasn’t yet been extracted, organized, and linked together in the ways that make it easy for you to use. The challenge of actionable knowledge is that each of us looks for something slightly different than what the next person is looking for. TheBrain® software used in the Climate Web is perfectly suited to creating numerous customized “front doors” into the knowledge base –but each front door does have to be individually built.
If you’re not finding what you want in the Climate Web, there are several ways the Climatographers can help.
- As Short-Term Tour Guides. We can jump online with you to explore your specific goals and help you understand how to use the Climate Web to your best advantage. Tour Guide sessions range from 15–60 minutes, after which you can continue on your own.
- Through “Temporary” Climate Spotlights. Based on your specific goal or question we can quickly assemble a customized Climate Spotlight that organizes the Climate Web resources likely to be of particular use to you. You can then go right to that Spotlight to access those materials. We can build such a Spotlight in as little as an hour, and save your anywhere from hours to days of time. After you have used it, we delete it.
- Through “Permanent” Climate Spotlights. We can build a Spotlight that you can embed into a webpage of your choosing, addressing your particular need. These Spotlights might supplement the Resources page of your organization’s website, organize your course materials and relevant research topics for your students, or pull together specific information on particular climate topic. Spotlights can be public or sit behind a firewall, and can be static or periodically updated.
- Building Organizational and Topical Dashboards. The Climate Web already contains several Dashboards, as described here and here. New dashboards, however, can serve a wide variety of organizational needs. Dashboards can be specific to your organization or company, or be adapted to different decision-making levels within your organization. As with Climate Spotlights, Dashboards can be public or sit behind a firewall, and can be static or periodically updated.
- Supporting Presentation, Webinar, and Course Development and Delivery. With thousands of sources and graphics, the Climate Web can help you build a presentation that relates directly to what you want to communicate. The Climate Web encompasses numerous presentations and mini-courses on a many climate change topics, including those shown here. The Climatographers can deliver these presentations and courses remotely or in person. You can also deliver your own customized presentations directly from the Climate Web.
- Developing Knowledge Management Tools. If you are a climate change professional or represent an organization explicitly involved in climate change issues, you may want to take advantage of the full capabilities offered by either the free or paid desktop versions of TheBrain® software or the TeamBrain™ (cloud) version. Using the TheBrain® software you can build a knowledge management system specifically suited to your organizational needs. The Climatographers can help in several ways: :
- We can provide you with a “Seed Brain” that you can use to start or expand your own climate-related knowledge management system. We use the Climate Web to “extract” Seed Brains and send the Seed Brain to you for your use in your own desktop Brain. Seed Brains can be adapted to the limitations of the free Brain software (attachments and thought icons aren’t available, but everything else works), or can take full advantage of the capabilities of the Pro versions. Taking advantage of Seed Brains can save you from hundreds to thousands of hours in building your own knowledge management system.
- Use our consulting services to learn how to most effectively use TheBrain® software, whether in climate-relevant or other applications. With more than a decade of experience with the software, and having spent more than 16,000 hours building the Climate Web, we have a lot of experience with Brains!
These are some of the ways that you can take full advantage of the Climate Web. Contact us for more information, or to explore options we haven’t thought of!