Business decision-makers need to track three critical questions when it comes to the potential business implications of climate change:
- Is climate change creating—or is it becoming more likely that climate change will create—material business risks or opportunities?
- Do policies and measures currently being pursued in response to climate change pose—or will they be more likely to result in—material business risks or opportunities?
- Are there other trends in motion that pose—or which will be more likely to result in—material business risks or opportunities?
These questions are not easy to answer. For many companies, there simply are too many uncertainties and variables to track. The Business Climate Risk Dashboard does exactly that, providing a high-level business risk snapshot around four risk perspectives:
- 1st Order Climate Risks: created by climate change itself.
- 2nd Order Climate Risks: created by policy, consumer, and market responses to climate change.
- Leading Risk Indicators: variables likely to influence 2nd Order Risks in the future.
- Emissions Scenarios: keep track of the potential emissions scenarios in play and what they would mean for business risk.
The Sample Business Risk Dashboard shown below illustrates the structure and content of the full Dashboard. The thumbnail graphics pop up if you hover over them, explaining the role of each variable. To back up to a prior view at any time, click on the “breadcrumb trail” at the bottom, or simply backspace in your browser. To return to the original spotlight view at any time, click here.
The Subscription Business Risk Dashboard is available at a nominal cost and is updated with new analysis and relevant materials as they become available. For more information or to subscribe to the Business Risk Dashboard, contact us at email@example.com.
Decision-makers may need a more sector- or company-specific dashboard than reflected in this Spotlight. Such dashboards can be built as separate (and private) Climate Spotlights. Contact us for more information at 503-913-0025.